Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Creatures of Habit



Two weeks ago, I got the news that I was going to be moving into a new house and I became SO excited about the change that I immediately starting seeing all my stuff in the new house, what I was going to change and how I was going to live!
  So, of course, my administrative OCD kicked in and I had to pack RIGHT NOW!  Forcing myself to downsize, to only my daily essentials, for the next two weeks.  So, I consolidated everything into one drawer until the move.
To my frustration, even though I knew I had emptied all the drawers and put everything into one, I kept going back to the old drawers only to find them empty.  Every day, I kept making the same mistake and found it to be so frustrating!!  WHY couldn't I simply remember that I moved everything? I had created a "habit", so without even thinking about my choices I kept making the wrong one!
 How many areas of our life are going the wrong way because of the "habits" we have formed over the years?  Even though we have given our life to Jesus and we have made the decision to change and live for Him, we still find ourselves doing things we don't want to do!  
Maybe it's have a habit of gossiping, or talking negative or always seeing the glass half full. Maybe you have a habit of getting angry or walking in bitterness or whatever area that has control over your life.  
Don't be discouraged! Look at what the Word says!
Romans 12:2   Amplified Bible (AMP)
Do not be conformed to this world, [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you].   

You can have victory in every area of your life, but the change has to come through the Word of God!  Here are a few steps to renewing your mind.

  1. Change the thoughts about yourself: replace your thoughts with God's thoughts (the word of God) The Word of God has the power of transformation! Whenever you begin to renew your mind through the power of the Word of God, you will begin the process of unlearning what you learned in the past.
  2. Change your focus. Do not focus on your present situation. God is our ever present help in our time of need. (Psalms 46:1) Instead begin to focus your attention on where you want to be. The most effective way of changing your focal point is to focus your mind on God. God has promised to keep your mind in perfect peace if you keep your mind focused on Him. 
  3. Change Your Habits: Through the power of words—God’s Words, the world which we see was called into existence. Through the power of words—the negative words of others, we were shaped or conformed to think unbelief. Through the power of the Word of God you can renew your mind and be transformed into a new creature.

 




 

3 comments:

  1. My OCDness is wondering why you used 2 types of fonts?? Otherwise great post! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HYSTERICAL!!! Okay, I fixed it! :)

      I couldn't figure out why it was doing that (user error)

      Delete
  2. I truly appreciate this post.... Good job needed this reminder.... Thanks

    Quicha

    ReplyDelete